Dawg Dash FlyerDawg Dash 10k
UW Dawg Dash


Seattle, Washington United States

University of Washington

69F / 21C Sunny Run - 10k

Total Time = 55m 58s

Pre-race routine:

We got to the UW bright and early and parked. I was trying to decide if I wanted to take Dash on the run, since he is my running partner. I had concerns about slowing down to clean up after him, though. We left them in the car and went to pick up our packets. After getting the shirt (which I will send to my Dad) we looked EVERYWHERE for an open bathroom, finally going back to some of the baseball fields about half mile away to use a porta-potty. Of course there were closer ones, but we were dumb.

Event warmup:

As it became apparent that the event was not going to start on time, we stood around trying to stay warm. I realized slowly that I really wasn't feeling very well! What a bummer, but I suppose at some point it's bound to happen that I am sick on a race, since I do so many. We stood back waiting for the 5k group to start and the longer I stood there, the more achey and cold I got. I hoped it was just due to the fact that, at that point, it really WAS quite cold coupled with having run a hard ten miles the day before. After all, we're only three weeks out from my last marathon...so maybe that was it (I hoped in vain).

As we finally started into the corral I knew I was wrong. I was indeed getting sick. Crossing my arms over my chest brought pain (they hit where my pancreas is). It looked like I was getting "Hankreatitis." I considered turning around and telling Roy I couldn't run, but then decided to just go ahead and go. Worst thing that would happen is I wouldn't be able to finish.

I started off at what felt like a slow and plodding pace. I really have no idea what "fast" feels like, for some reason. I was hoping that my aches would work themselves out in the first mile or two. Dinged off the first mile and looked down at my watch...8:45. Okay, so I'm NOT going slow! I am not a fast runner, and 8:45 wouldn't be off for me if I were doing a 5k. But in a 10k it is faster than I want to go out.

I decided to slow down some for mile two since I still wasn't feeling well.

When mile four came around and it was apparent that I was NOT going to feel good at any point on this race, I just wanted to be done. I kept pushing and running hard, running to my best 10k pace ever!

Sadly I was not very excited about it. As I finished all I wanted was to find Roy and go lie down.

Finally found him (he was right where I left him...haha) and Dash. He stood in line for me to get some food while I walked off to find a closer porta-potty. Halfway there I was in so much pain I just sat down on the track. Roy came up to me with Dash and he (Dash) put his head on my shoulder. I grabbed onto him and just cried. I felt HORRIBLE!



The race was great; well organized and things went smoothly. The late start was due to an inordinate amount of people doing day of race registrations. Unfortunately this also translated into them running out of goodie bags at the end, and I came in at the first half of the pack for 10kers! That was a bummer!

My run, however, was horrible. It was completely due to being sick, and I will definitely do this race again when I'm feeling good. It was such a beautiful day and it's a great, challenging course.

What would you do differently?:

Well if I had any control, I wouldn't have gotten sick! I also would not have worn long sleeves. I was so hot it wasn't even funny, but the day before I was sleeveless and cold. It's so hard to tell at this time of year.

Post race

Warm down:

I found Roy and he could tell right away that something was wrong. Found some water and left him standing in line to get me some food while I looked for a restroom. About halfway there I simply could not take another step, so I sat down on the track. Dash and Roy came over to find me laying on the track. Dash snuggled his head onto my shoulder and I just grabbed him and cried. I felt so horrible.

Pancreatitis makes me really thirsty so I tried to down as much water as I could without throwing up (rarely happens, but it sure felt like it might this time).

We made our way to the car and I laid back and went to sleep. Roy took the dogs to the dog park while I recouperated in the car for an hour, letting it get really hot. I slept and was feeling slightly better on the way home.

Let's hope I've had my one "bad race" for my life! That was SO not fun!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting sick.

Event comments:

It was a great race! I would have liked to have seen more cheering and encouragement from the course support, but oh well!

Course: The course is gorgeous, which is to be expected since it is on one of the most beautiful campuses in the US. The sky was an impossible blue, the trees are shades of yellow, orange, and crimson. The course started out in Husky Stadium. We ran around the track and out into the parking lot. Just after mile one we ran through one of the parking lots where we'd parked and there was Roy and three fuzzy heads cheering me on! I threw him my gloves and yelled out a hello to my "babies" (the dogs). Maddie was barking her fool head off, Murphy was running back and forth in the back, and Dash was just standing there watching the mayhem. Mile two took us up onto the Burke Gilman Trail, one of my favorite places to run. (In fact I ran there just the day before on our 10 mile Seattlefit run.) We ran along the BG for awhile and then onto campus. What a beautiful campus! It seriously could NOT have been a more gorgeous day. We ran between the building with amazing architecture, around statues, up stairs, down stairs, around the amazing fountain in the middle of campus. Mile six brought us back into the stadium where I really put in a kick. Like I said, I just wanted to be DONE! Running hard didn't seem to make anything hurt worse, as far as I could tell, so I just put the pedal to the metal and went for it. I think my pace for the last .2 miles was 6:55. Again, for me, that is REALLY fast. Finished and took off my chip. I was just glad to be done. All I wanted to do was lie down and perhaps die. I have never felt so bad at the end of a race, ever.

Keeping cool Bad

Drinking Not enough

Post race
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4